Thursday, February 10, 2011

Oh, my darlin' valentine

I feel like Valentine's Day is one of those pseudo-holidays that is just begging to be ripped on year after year. I mean, it's not really a holiday. It just allows people to buy candy and over-priced dozens of flowers for each other while spilling out how they think they feel to one another over a candlelit dinner. If you REALLY felt and meant these things, then you wouldn't need Valentine's Day to confess and display these affections. To those of you who truly are in love, and never take advantage of each other, who find the simple and creative ways everyday to say, "I deeply care about you," the next few sentences are not for you.

Never was a fan of Valentine's Day and I know about 39% of Americans (all my statistics are REAL so don't question them!) who would agree. My last "celebrated" Valentine's Day was 3 years ago and the year before that I was dumped about a week later after reading phrases like, "Love you more each time I look at you." There should be a right of passage in order to acknowledge Valentine's Day in relationships. For example, you should be married or engaged. Have a child or two together. Agree to only give each other candy. I want to iterate this pessimism is not intended for true love, which I do believe in.

Yes, please do something special for each other. Celebrate your unrestricted and overt love for each other! But don't abuse the opportunity. I think that is where my rage against the machine of popping out thousands of Hallmark cards primarily resides. It comes from a place of historical heartache and it is something that I hate seeing happen to others each year.

As a girl, we're not asking for a facade of endearment. Maybe just a little recognition for, "Why me?" For all the girls we see as prettier, more intelligent, more funny, less crazy, etc...why am I the one (even for this ephemeral time in our lives) you chose this moment with?

Don't abuse love!!

To my non-existent audience of readers, here are a few suggested ideas for non-cliche acts of affection (Caution: don't use these if you don't really mean them!):
*plant a flower seed for her, or with her, create your own garden together
*lots and lots of candy and baked goods (baked together) that is eaten within a 4-hour time span (milk suggested)
*by the fire snuggling and silly games (not meant for a make-out session!)
*hiking, sunrise, sunset (anything with a natural beauty to it)
*play with a puppy from the Humane Society together

Be completely together.

No comments:

Post a Comment